Monday, July 30, 2012

Old Timey Hotties, Triple Hobbits, Gay Rejection and Olympic Nonsense

Mihai Eminescu, age 19, 1860
I first found My Daguerreotype Boyfriend on Tumblr about a year or so ago. I completely forget where the link came from, but many of the photos (most from the late 1800's into the early 1900's) are intriguing, to say the least. I think I was most surprised at how many of the men featured there looked so modern. Granted, not every photo is a gem, but what you find attractive and what I find attractive won't always be the same. K and I are usually amazed when we find the same guy attractive, while my friend Laura and I rarely disagree (though the guy we usually find most attractive is also most likely to be the first to die in a horror movie - Tuc Watkins in The Mummy, for example).

Many of the guys featured on MDB are unnamed prisoners and Civil War soldiers, though there are plenty of portraits of famous men in their youth, like Teddy Roosevelt, Charlie Chaplin and Lionel Logue (the real speech therapist featured in The King's Speech). The blog also has a whole section dedicated to men from the past who look like stars from today. MDB is currently searching for photos of hot Olympians from 1896 - 1936. 

Now, as gorgeous as some of those men may be, I don't think they can compete with modern athletes like Phillip Boy or Jonathan Horton or Danell Levya. Of course, being the dirty old man I am, Uncle P is really only interested in seeing the Men's Gymnastics; Men's Swimming; Men's Diving and Greco-Roman Wrestling events. But honestly, that's always been the case for me, old or young.

And speaking of rings (wow - talk about stretching for a segue), director Peter Jackson has formally announced (via - among others) that The Hobbit will indeed be a trilogy. Seriously? I know it's been a very long time since I read Tolkien's "prequel" to The Lord of the Rings (I think I was 13) but I don't remember there being enough material to support three feature-length films. Or maybe I'm wrong. I do know that while I really liked reading the LOTR trilogy, I enjoyed The Hobbit a whole lot more. Personally, I just can't wait to see how Jackson imagines Smaug!

And finally, I initially missed the first video in this series, but Towleroad has posted these very amusing tutorials on dealing with rejection for gay men, by TipsForLife:






He's already got the whiskey and the gin - he might as well add vodka, rum, tequila, sweet and sour mix and Coke to make an LIT.  If you're going to drink, it should at least taste good, no? And honestly, no one knows more about gay rejection than yours truly... Oh, that sounded a little pathetic, didn't it? Trust me, I have had my share of acceptance, though the scales do seem to have been tipped in the other direction. Not that I'm complaining... (well, maybe just a little).

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: