Saturday, August 1, 2009

Lo


I stumbled upon the fantastic teaser trailer for Travis Betz' horror/comedy Lo while searching YouTube for the Sordid Lives trailer (though what one had to do with the other is beyond me...). It was so funny and creepy at the same time - and that song! You'll see in a minute. Anyway - the story seems to be a combination of the Orpheus myth, Dante's Inferno and Faust, with a comic twist. I just want to know why I had not heard of it, before.

Written and directed by Travis Betz (Joshua), Lo is the story of a young man who apparently sells his soul to summon a demon, in order to rescue his lady love from Eternal Damnation. Think of it as Drag Me From Hell. The movie stars no one any one has ever heard of, but so did Star Wars. Not that I'm comparing, of course - take a breath, nerds. All I'm saying is that often unknowns in good movies go on to be much more than 'unknown.'
I love that smart, original Indie Horror still exists. And how I wish Warners would release Micheal Dougherty's Trick 'r Treat, the much-buzzed about horror antholagy starring Brian Cox (the original Hannibal Lecter); Anna Paquin; the always good Dylan Baker (Spider-Man) and "Dollhouse" and "Battlestar Gallactica" star, Tamoh Penikett.
So, here's the teaser for Lo that so caught my fancy:



And here's the official trailer:



Is it me, or does this film look like it will a whole lotta fun? I'll probably have to wait for the DVD release... suburban cineplexes suck (say that 3 times, fast).
Oh - And just in case you are wondering - D and I got our new ink today and both of us were very happy with the results. If you are in eastern Pennsylvania, I highly recommend Living Arts Tattoo Gallery in New Hope, PA (Pennsylvania's P'Town).
The Living Arts staff are friendly guys who are serious about what they do, and they do it well. Expect to spend some time, especially if they are doing a custom design. I brought in my own art (designed to my specs by my dear friend, Dale as my birthday present), and tattoo artist Brian Ulrich did a fantastic job! I can't stop looking at it. My Dear D (not to be confused with Dale), seemed just as pleased with his crucifix, which I must admit, while not something I would even consider getting, was beautifully executed as well. We took pictures with D's camera. As soon he uploads them, I will post them.
And I've already decided on my next one... They had this gorgeous Pre-Columbian Yin-Yang on the wall... MUST have. It's the perfect compliment to the Egyptian symbols I got today. Maybe in October or November... or my Christmas present to myself.
More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: