Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Favorite New Video Game


I'm not really into many video games these days. Of course, back in the 80's, there were several at which I was quite good. I worked retail full time while going to school part time and spent many a lunch hour in the mall's arcade. I was particularly good at Paperboy, in which the control was a bicycle handle and you got points by breaking windows and hitting customers in the head. I suppose it was a way to take out my frustrations on my real life customers. I was also quite good at Millipede; Galaga; Q-Bert; Burgertime and Tron. Oh, to have those quarters back... Later, my sister and I got into House of the Dead, which served as the basis for the godawful Uwe Boll movie of the same name. In the first-person shooter game, the player has to kill as many zombies as possible, before succumbing to their deadly bites.

Now, home gaming systems have all but wiped out the video arcades and the games feature amazing graphics; have gotten more elaborate; harder to play and even eliminated the need for hand controls. Still, it's nice to see that a classic format can be relevant, even today. In the online game Tea Party Zombie Must Die, the gamer has to take out zombified versions of Sean Hannity, Glen Beck, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann in order to save the world from their insane rhetoric. It's all in good fun, despite what Faux News has to say about it. And honestly, it's a video game. No one is advocating the killing of real people, here. Created by Starving Eyes Advergaming, Tea Party Zombies Must Die is a simple and fun first-person shooter game in the tradition of Wolfenstein and House of the Dead, though I would remiss in not reporting the pleasure a liberal can take in chopping  Newt Gingrich Zombie; Rick Santorum Zombie and Fox News Blond Barbie Zombie to bits with a machete.

You can get a taste of the game in the video demo embedded below, via the Huffington Post. And I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that my friend Diana M. first alerted me to the game on Facebook, this afternoon. Thanks, Di!


More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: