Sunday, August 30, 2009

Worst Remake Idea EVER



Steve McQueen, like many successful actors, started his career in a B-grade horror movie that has since become a classic, The Blob. Thirty years later, it was remade starring Kevin Dillon in the role that made McQueen famous. Granted, Dillon did not go on to the same kind of career that McQueen did, but the 1988 remake was fun, at least. It featured then state-of-the-art FX (see the photo, above), actress Shawnee Smith (who would later go on to become Jigsaw's apprentice in the Saw franchise) and ER's Paul McCrane (someone with whom I share 1 degree of separation, having worked with both of his sisters at Macy's many moons ago). It also featured actor Bill Mosely, who would go on to star in Army of Darkness; House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, among many other Z-grade horror movies (Evil Bong, anyone?).
Now (via), comes word that House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils' Rejects director Rob Zombie has been tapped to once again remake The Blob. Now I have to be honest and admit that I actually like House of 1000 Corpses. It's an insane homage to 70's exploitation "white trash" horror with an even better sequel in The Devil's Rejects. But Zombie's remake of John Carpenter's quintessential slasher movie Halloween was a complete waste of time (and I won't even comment on that movie's now-playing sequel). In discussing The Blob remake, Zombie has been quoted as saying "My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change..."
What?! The Blob without the blob? What the hell? Further proof that Hollywood is being run by morons and Rob Zombie is retarded. I say a full boycott is called for.
In other movie news, while looking for interesting tidbits to post about, I came across a trailer for a movie I had never heard of and can't believe I missed. Below is the trailer for 2008's British horror flick, The Children:



Apparently, The Children was released on DVD this past March. I completely missed it and now must make a pilgrimage to my local Blockbuster to check it out. And I am wondering what other bits of wonderful (and maybe not-so-wonderful) horror may have missed, recently. Any suggestions? You know I love to hear from you. Comment away.
More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: