Monday, May 30, 2011

Watch It While You Can



I have not fallen victim to Stieg Larson's "Girl" trilogy (which was apparently planned to be a 10 book series before Larson died). I know lots of my coworkers at the Day Job have been passing them around or reading them on their Kindles.

Lately, I've had little time to read, though I did read while in Florida, and it was glorious to do so. I polished off "Horns," by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) and "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" by Seth Grahame-Smith. Both were immensely entertaining, though neither was actually scary. The latter is scheduled for a 2012 film adaptation by Russian director Timur Bekmambetov. I really loved how much research went in Grahame-Smith's novel and thought he found some clever ways to incorporate actual history into his alt-history tale of vampires and how they inspired Lincoln to free the slaves. Of course, Grahame-Smith's "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" is also on track for a movie version.

And last Tuesday, while waiting in the Outpatient Family Waiting Room as Mom had a minor procedure performed, I finally started King's 1084-page opus, "Under the Dome." I got through the first 60 pages or so. I certainly enjoyed what I read, but haven't had the time or opportunity to read more, since. Maybe when I go to Chicago on business at the end of July.

Every one I know who has read Larson's books says they are "...terrific, but you have to stick with it, at first." These days, I mostly just wait for the movie. And that's kind of sad. Anyway, my point is, the Red Band trailer for the U.S. remake starring Daniel Craig has been leaked onto YouTube. I don't know how long it will be there, so catch it while you can:



Umm... that was helpful in explaining what it was about...

More, anon.
Prospero

3 comments:

Pax Romano said...

I have not read any of the books as well, and that trailer did nothing to pique my interest for the American version of the film (but it did make me want to go listen to some Zeppelin).

As for Under The Dome, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it - we can compare notes.

Andrew said...

I read the first book, and saw the first novel....
It was worth it.

Anonymous said...

Under the Dome is surprising similar to The Simpsons Movie.

This is an excellent book, very character developed and driven, with a creepy murder mystery and disturbing religious and political plots.