Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Gayest Thing You'll See This Week


SNL is one of those shows that can be brilliantly funny or uncomfortably stupid. It's always been that way, even during the so-called "golden age" of the late 70's. 

I must admit that through all the good and bad of SNL over the last 4 decades, I'm still a fan. From "Jane, you ignorant slut" to Ed Grimley and from "Mango" to "Two A-holes," SNL is still the only live comedy show on TV. They may be hit-or-miss, but they've always been that way. And I have to be honest, when writers Robert Smigel and Stephen Colbert first introduced The Ambiguously Gay Duo, I wasn't sure whether to be insulted or amused. But the whole thing was just so damned funny, I had to admit I wasn't insulted.

This past Saturday's show was hosted by Ed Helms, of NBC's "The Office" and The Hangover films. The show was once again hit-or-miss (mostly misses this time out, I'm afraid). But Smigel's first AGD cartoon in a long time took a hilarious turn and, thanks to a "Flesh Ray," became a live-action bit starring Jon Hamm; Jimmy Fallon; Stephen Colbert; Steve Carrell; Fred Armisen and Helms in one of SNL's funniest bits in a long time:



Honestly, if we can't laugh at ourselves, those assholes in the Tea Party will laugh at us, anyway...



More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: