Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Apocaplexy


I was originally planning to save this post for Friday but since there's been so much buzz about it in the mainstream media, I thought I better get it in while there's still time for all y'all to read it.

89 year-old California Evangelist Harold Camping has determined that May 21st, 2011 is the 7000th Anniversary of the Great Flood; the date of the Rapture* and the beginning of the Apocalypse. And he's not alone. Camping has hundreds of followers, many of whom have given up their jobs and all their worldly possessions in order to prepare to be assumed into Heaven, prior to the Tribulation, which he claims will last until October 21st, 2011.

I'll be very amused to see what Mr. Camping has to say on May 22nd, when he and his followers (along with the rest of us), are all still here. "Oops!" seems hardly appropriate.

I may be an atheist, but I've read the Bible. And I know it says that no one can know when Judgment will be (not even Jesus, himself). So how does Camping know? He says he's done his research and that the acceptance of gays worldwide signals the End of Days. Really? It seems to me that the gradual and often painful realization that gay people are actually born gay, signals a new age of reason.

Here's the thing - There have always been gay people. There have always been fornicators and there have always religious loons who've been predicting the End of the World. Religious kooks have been predicting the End of the World for almost as long as religions have existed. Hell, Camping himself first predicted it in 1994. Of course, he now says his calculations were wrong and that he has since adjusted his math. 


I can't wait to hear what he has to say on May 22nd, when he hasn't been assumed.

Until then, please enjoy these Rapture-related videos:










More (and more I'm sure), anon.
Prospero

*That's my beloved Beth Grant (of Sordid Lives and Donnie Darko) as the soon-to-be client in the "Six Feet Under" clip.

3 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Camping and his crew should be held accountable for their con-artist ways. There are some people in my own home town of Salt Lake City that are frightened of the billboards and bullshit from his crew. You know they won't be held accountable at all, but they should be. It makes me mad as hell the longer I dwell on how terrible religion actually is and how damaging the messages are that religion passes on.

Prospero said...

Michael, I couldn't agree more. religion has been the source of more wars, murders and persecutions than anything else in history. It makes me sick to think how many people have been tortured and killed in the name of "God."

DeepBlue said...

I wouldn't be surprise if May 21 turns out to be Campaing's own "doomsday" since he's 89...
Reminds me of a nice little movie by Swiss director Claude Goretta "Et si le soleil ne revenait pas"
And I'd like to say to believer Victor Diaz (first clip at 2'35): "Come to my place, I'll be more than happy to make you feel my own doomsday!" :)
And we must stalk all those people in a few month just to see if they will admit their stupidity or are going to try to find some kind of way out of it...

Take care and see ya on the other side. :)
Jon