Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Favorite Movies (so far) This Year



OK - I'm just getting used to Firefox, but have found that I can post stuff much more easily than on Explorer.

Anyway... here's my post about my favorite movies this year. And while I have hardly seen every film I've wanted to this year (Taxidermia, I Sell the Dead, and Up among them,) I can speak about the movies I have seen. Here then, is my list of the best movies I've seen in 2009, in order of my love for them:

Coraline:

Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas) directs this Neil Gaimon tale about a little girl who discovers an alternate reality behind a door in her bedroom:



Star Trek:

J.J. Abrams re-imagines the classic TV series in an exciting and very entertaining film. My review is here. The trailer is here:



Watchmen:

Creator Alan Moore (among others) felt that his graphic novel was unfilmable. Dircetor Zach Snyder disagreed and created one of the top 3 Superhero movies of all time. My review is here. Watch the trailer below:



District 9:

Neil Blomkamp's alien allegory is by far a perfect film, but it left me feeling less human for the viewing of it. My review is here. The trailer is below:



Drag Me to Hell:

Sam Raimi (The Evil Dead, Spider-Man) makes his triumphant return to horror with this story about a young loan officer who refuses to extend a mortgage to teh wrong evil gypsy. My ecstatic review is here.



Moon:

An astounding and "quiet" Sci-Fi film from director Duncan Jones (son of David Bowie), Moon features an amazing performance form the always wonderful Sam Rockwell in a film reminiscent of late '60's and early 70's films like 2001 and Silent Running. My #1 pick, so far:



So, there you have them. Agree? Disagree? Let me know. I always love hearing from you.

More, anon.
Prospero

4 comments:

Prospero said...

Still working out Firefox... please excuse the link issues... I promise It will get better.
P

Anonymous said...

I agree with all your choices so far - I tried to see Moon but it was out of theaters so fast. You can cross Final Destination off the list (if it was on it) to quote my nephew as we were leaving the theater - "that would have been better on DVD."

Matty said...

Alas! I'm not the only person I know who saw (or even heard of) MOON! Loved it. Brilliant performance. Clever, yet sublte scripting. And pitch-perfect atmosphere.

By the way, (500) Days of Summer belongs on this list. Even if rom-coms aren't your thing, Brian. See it. It's slightly groundbreaking with it's witty formula. And absolutely adorable.

Stephen said...

Coraline was made here in Portland where there is quite the little Hollywood 2 when it comes to animation. I loved MOON.
Good list, but we have 4 months to go.