Sunday, August 28, 2011

Goodnight Irene (or: I'm Keeping My CDs)


Who knew Granny Clampett packed such a wallop?

Hurricane Irene has come and gone and while there is still devastating flooding in the area, Uncle P made it through with electricity intact and only an annoying pile of debris across my driveway and lawn. Of course, some of my neighbors at the lower end of my street weren't quite so lucky and there are several piles of pulled-up carpeting on the curb this evening. And lots of folks in my town are still without power.

Being completely lame, I was unhappy with the choice of breakfast foods in my house this morning, and I decided to head out to Dunkin Donuts for a bagel. The drive-thru line was literally out on the the street and the line inside wrapped around the tiny store enough times for me to walk out. I tried three other places (including what I would ordinarily consider to be a disgusting fast food chain), only to find similar situations. I finally ended up at the over-priced local grocery store, where I was pleased to find bagels that were still warm. I know, I know... such a White Whine

Honestly, I am quite grateful that I only had to do some sweeping up. Many folks in the region had far more dire problems. Trees were downed; cars were crushed or swept away; people were displaced from their homes and 18 people actually lost their lives. And there is still much more flooding expected in the region as the Delaware river and its many tributaries have still not reached their crests. Many of my friends in NJ are cut off due to flooding and tens of thousands in the region are still without power. And truth be told, it could have been much worse. 

And I am happy to report that none of my friends and family will have to fight over my book, CD and DVD collections. They remain dry and in my full possession. I hope that all of my East Coast readers were as lucky as I was. If you weren't, you have my deepest condolences. Now that Irene has moved into Canada, you can expect a return to my usual nonsense this time tomorrow. But I will leave you with this:



Okay - how gay was that?

More, anon.
Prospero




2 comments:

Stephen said...

That was quite gay...
I don't know if you understand this, but I was nominated for the Irene Ryan Look Alike Award from the American College Theatre Festival in 1974.

Prospero said...

I was nominated in 1985 for an ACT Irene Ryan Scholarship for my performance as Bob in "Beyond Therapy." It always amazes me how much you and I have in in common, my friend.