Tuesday, August 23, 2011

All Shook Up


Well, as I'm sure all of you know, the East Coast had a rare earthquake event this afternoon. Originating in Mineral, VA (about 80 miles SW of Washington, DC), the quake was felt as far north as Toronto, as far south as North Carolina and as far west as parts of Ohio.

While no one where I work actually panicked, the quake caused quite a buzz among my co-workers. The part of the building where my department is located lies directly above the garage and the floor often shakes, so I thought it was just that until I saw the items on my desk rattling and the looks on other co-workers faces. You can see the kinds of massive damage the quake caused in our area in the photo above.

No one can describe my feelings about today's seismic event better than the King:



Californians are laughing at us, while Haitians and the Japanese are like "Oh, real funny, isn't it?" (That's terrible, I know...). With hurricane Irene looming to strike the area this Sunday, I know the Fundies can't wait to blame everything on New York's recent approval of same-sex marriage. Personally, I blame Rick Perry's announcement that he's running for President. I think Mother Nature is trying to wipe out DC before he can do it for her. It's either that or basic plate tectonics at work. Of course, Uncle P is a Godless Heathen, so what the hell do I know?

More, anon.
Prospero


1 comment:

DeepBlue said...

:-D
Not mentionnig those many who thought of yet another terrorist attack...
Oh well... Paranoia seems to still be on the agenda!
Have a nice day!
Hugs
Jon