Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Gayest Thing You'll See This Week


This is probably old news to some of you, but I am so happy to share the video below of the swearing-in of Mayor Annise Parker, the first openly gay mayor of Houston (of all places). Houston also became the largest U.S. city to have an openly gay mayor when Parker was sworn in yesterday.

Texas, long the land of U.S. Machismo, was a frightening place when I spent time there in the late 80's and early 90's. Of course, I met my second "official" boyfriend in Corpus Christi, so it wasn't all bad (we won't talk about the fact the fact that he later left me because Jesus "told" him he was a "sinner").

Still, it's wonderful to see that a city in the heart of the Bible Belt is open-minded and progressive enough to recognize that one's sexual orientation has nothing to do with one's ability to govern.

The so-called "Religious Right"* may be up in arms, but sane, rational folks are celebrating all over the country, and I am proud to count myself among them.

Kudos to Houston and congratulations to Mayor Parker. Here's hoping that some day, being a successful gay politician (or scientist; actor; teacher; fireman; police officer; dog-catcher; construction foreman; warehouse manager; martial arts instructor; athlete; astronaut; etc., etc., ad nauseum) is no longer news (or even an issue at all). Watch the ceremony below (via):



*I have a button which reads: "The Religious Right is Neither." Too true.

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: