Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Short Ramble


A View from the Bridge has it's preview night this Thursday and officially opens on Friday. As you may have surmised from my previous posts, this has not been a fun or easy process for your Uncle Prospero. Acting for me is usually one of life's joys. On occasion, I have found myself cast in a show that for one reason or another, I simply do not like. When that happens, it's either because I disagree with the director's vision; the director's vision while plausible, simply doesn't work or the play itself is to blame. In this case, it's the latter. This particular piece, while once relevant, just doesn't connect for me. That's not to say it's a bad play. There's a reason why it is still being done 50 years later. It's why, as my mother would say, "they make chocolate and vanilla. " I simply have no mechanism with which to connect myself to the characters or the situation.

And as much as I may whine and carry on, it's been worth it, if only to spend time with many people I love. I have rarely been so challenged by a role, and finally think I've found the character. One rehearsal left... if I only weren't so damned tired...

More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll do great! Break a leg!

Prospero said...

Thank you!