Friday, June 3, 2011

Later This Summer...


Sorry about last night... I'm sure you all have been that tired. But I'm sort of glad I waited, because it gave me a chance to add something to what I wanted to talk about, anyway...
 
Two new trailers have surfaced for movies Uncle P is very excited to see. 

Scheduled for release on August 5th is Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a prequel to 1968's Planet of the Apes. It stars the busiest man in Hollywood, James Franco as a scientist who develops a drug intended to repair brain damage, which accidentally results in the creation of a super-intelligent chimp named Caesar. Borrowing from the sequels to the movie based on a novel by Pierre Boulle, Rise... re-imagines the origins of the Ape Revolution originally portrayed in 1973's Battle for the Planet of the Apes. Andy Serkis dusts off his ape skills (last displayed in Peter Jackson's 2005 remake of King Kong) as Caesar, while Harry Potter's Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy); original Hannibal Lecter, Brian Cox; Slumdog Millionaire's Freida Pinto; Tyler Labine and John Lithgow co-star in what will be either an incredibly awesome or exceptionally lame attempt to reboot a franchise that even former wunderkind Tim Burton couldn't revive.



August 26th sees the release of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, a big screen remake of an ABC Movie-of-the-Week that scared the hell out of Uncle P's sister when we were kids. The original movie starred Kim Darby (True Grit; Better Off Dead) and Jim Hutton ("Ellery Queen") as a couple who inherit her grandfather's old house and the nasty little critters who live behind the furnace grate in the basement. My sister says this movie is the reason she still sleeps with a night light. The remake, written and produced by Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) stars Katie Holmes (Tom Cruise's hypno-vict... er, wife) and Guy Pearce (Memento; Priscilla, Queen of the Desert) and Bailee Madison ("The Wizards of Waverly Place") as the little demons' object of desire. I've already made D promise to see it with me, though he says he's seen the trailer a dozen times and it still scares him.



I almost wish I could see it with D on one side of me and my sister on the other - or maybe not... I like my arms right where they belong...

More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Those films do look promising. I am looking forard to Super 8.

Prospero said...

I'll be reviewing "Super 8" next week...