Friday, March 11, 2011

Cry Me a River: Part II


Welcome to Part II of Uncle P's Ten Best Tearjerker Movies, Ever (or something). And big double boo-hisses to anyone who doesn't immediately get the movie reference in the picture on your right. Because My Little Pony is the first thing I think of when I hear the name John Waters. Though I hope that both he and Depp own one of these (and I'd bet Waters actually does). 

So, the last time we were here together, I'd gotten from my #10 favorite Tearjerker (a movie my friend Deb thinks is sappy hocum and makes fun of me for loving, 1934's Imitation of Life) to my number six, E.T. Let's move on the Top Five, shall we?

5. Big Fish (2003)
Tim Burton's adaptation of Daniel Wallace's novel, this underrated, gorgeous and hilarious film is about the son of a story-teller coming to terms with his father's life. Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney in a bit of genius casting, play age-different versions of the father, while Billy Crudup is the adult son who has always struggled to rectify real life with his father's stories. Quirky, imaginative and everything that's good about a good Tim Burton movie, Big Fish is probably Burton's last great film...



4. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
I've talked about this film a lot. When first released, it received mostly bad notices from the big critics. I chose it as the Best Film of 2001 and said it was "another Spielberg masterpiece." A lot of critics have come around since then, and given A.I. the praise it so well deserves, ten years after the fact. Too long? Too weird? Too dark? Too deep? No, no, no, no and no. And I hope it's the last time I ever type this: No, the beings at the end of the movie are living machines, not aliens. And cry? Have plenty of tissues, even if you're only half as sappy as I am.



3. Bambi (1942)
Disney's third foray into animated features has one the single most traumatic scenes in the history of "Family" movies. You know what I'm talking about:



I can't talk right now... BRB.

Whew! I can see gain. Sorry about that...

2.Brokeback Mountain (2005)
I did okay with this one, so happy to see a film tell an honest gay story for once. Then I got to the last scene where Ennis (Heath Ledger) goes to Jack's (Jake Gyllenhaal) childhood home and takes out that jacket... Devastating:



And my top Tear Jerker of all time; the movie that makes me cry like a child every damn time I see it..

1.The Green Mile (1999)
Director Frank Darabont is of the few guys in Hollywood who actually gets Stephen King and can translate the humanity in the characters on the page into images and dialog on film. So exceptionally faithful to the novel (originally released in several small publications, like a Dickens serial) and so expertly performed by an amazing cast, The Green Mile had me sobbing from the moment it sets in that they are actually going to have to go through with it. No wonder "The Walking Dead" is such a hit - Darabont knows how to grab you and never let you go. I also highly recommend his two other King adaptations: The Shawshank Redemption and The Mist.



So, those are the ten movies (of many) most likely to make me cry (or even outright sob) when I see them. What movies make you cry?

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: