Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Gayest Thing You'll See This Week

William Belli and Drake Jensen
In general, I hate Country Music. Oh, there are a few classics: Pasty Cline's "Crazy;" Dolly Parton's "Jolene" and "I Will Always Love You;" Shania Twain's "Man! I Feel like a Woman." Maybe one or two more. 

Part of my problem with Country is its mostly homophobic fanbase. I say "mostly," because I know plenty of gay boys who adore the stuff. Some of them even go line dancing. For the record, Uncle P doesn't do any kind of line dancing and I'll punch any wedding DJ who plays the "Electric Slide" in the side of his or her head until he or she falls over and I can take over with real dance music - same thing goes for the GD "Chicken Dance." If I ever meet the a-hole who came up with that monstrosity, I cannot promise that I won't commit a felony of some kind. And don't even get me started on the Macarena...

Anyway, there are strides being made, even in Nashville. Canadian Bear Drake Jensen has literally been singing singing the praises of hairy men since his cover of Anne Murray's "A Little Good News" in 2001. His latest album Outlaw, is scheduled for release this coming February. The first single, a cover of Tammy Wynette's "Stand by Your Man" (another Country classic I can actually listen to without vomiting) features drag impresario William Belli. Here's the video (via - link may be NSFW):



That version is even better than this one:



Drake married his manager, Sean Morin in 2008 in Ottawa, where the two live. Jensen joins k.d. lang, Doug Stevens and Cheli Wright as one of the few out Country singers. Honestly, I'm looking forward to the day when no one's sexuality is an issue and being "out" is no longer a thing of importance. Until then, I'll continue to (you should pardon the expression) sing the praises of public figures and celebrities who openly embrace and bravely exclaim who they are.

More, anon,
Prospero

2 comments:

Jon DeepBlue said...

♫♪♪ Don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart... ♫♪♪ I just don't think it'd understand...♫♪♪

Ah, Come on! Dance with me... I know you want it! :P

Hugs
Jon

Prospero said...

Back then, Billy Ray was kind of hot...