Monday, September 19, 2011

Exceptionally Good Riddance to Excrementally Bad Rubbish

President Obama Signs the DADT Repeal

I keep telling you Uncle P is old. I know this by the amazing number of historical events I've witnessed. The moon landing; Nixon's resignation; the Challenger explosion; Oklahoma City;  9/11; the first African-American President. So many, many more. And tomorrow I will witness the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the ability for LGBT persons to serve their country openly, with the full respect and dignity deserved by (almost) every Human Being on earth. 

And just to be clear, I say 'almost' because I can't include murderers; rapists; terrorists; pedophiles; Nazis; drug kingpins and two-faced, self-loathing bigots who vote one way and have sex the other, as people (among a few others) who deserve any respect whatsoever. In other words, people who don't read Caliban's Revenge.

Like so many, I cannot believe that I am alive to see this day. This is big folks. Probably the biggest Civil Rights victory since the 60's. And you have to give credit where credit is due. This is another one of many historical moments that will continue to be part of Obama's first term. We MUST make sure he has a second, because we run the risk of having an insane person running the asylum and all of it falling down around us like a house of cards. As much as I keep whining that Mr. Obama has to grow a pair (which he apparently did  today on his tax increase proposal), this is an amazing accomplishment. We now join Canada, Great Britain and several other Western countries that allow gays to serve openly. And you have to be honest, not only was bin Laden killed on his watch, Obama has just kept a major campaign promise to the LGBT community. DOMA is next and with it, Prop 8 goes away and the way is paved for marriage equality on a national level. I have never been prouder to be an American, than I am at this moment. You can read the official announcement here.

Tell your friends; tell your lovers; tell your boyfriends and girlfriends; tell your partners; tell your spouses (legal or otherwise); tell you parents and tell your straight allies: "Please, vote! Please make sure that the momentum is kept going; please make sure an insane person isn't elected POTUS." 

More, anon.
Prospero

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I read you nearly every day, Uncle P! Please don't have me killed!