Thursday, September 8, 2011

Almodovar Does Horror


Spanish director Pedro Almodovar (Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!; Women On the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown) reunites with one of Spain's sexiest exports for his latest film The Skin I Live In

Still gorgeous Antonio Banderas stars as a plastic surgeon obsessed with creating an undamageable synthetic skin. He kidnaps a woman named Norma (Bianca Suarez) and performs bizarre experiments on her. I can only imagine that Norma reminds the surgeon of a past love lost to a fire or some other dermatological tragedy, and she somehow holds the key to his obsession.

That's probably not a fully accurate description of the film, but without actually seeing it, is probably as a close as I can come. Almodovar, never one to shy away from uncomfortable and controversial topics, is probably the most famous and highest grossing Spanish filmmaker, ever. His films are consistently lauded by critics and consistently land on many critics' Top Ten Lists. 

I have seen and enjoyed several of his films and am looking forward to The Skin I Live In, if only to see the director put his very personal stamp on the Horror genre. From the trailer below, I can only imagine it will be unlike any other Horror movie we've ever seen:



The Skin I Live In is scheduled for release in the U.S. in November. I won't be surprised to see it nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film come next March.

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: