Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Too Many Topics...


Okay- I'm not afraid to admit that I am completely torn on what to talk about tonight, because collectively, nothing that's on my mind makes for a very cohesive post. But here goes...

First is the image on your right, which I'm sure you've seen on a hundred other movie and entertainment blogs and websites today. That's the teaser poster for Christopher Nolan's third (and final) Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises. Click it to enlarge it and you can see the destruction being wrought upon Gotham City, but not by whom. Lots of folks have been comparing it to the early Inception posters and while I suppose I see their point... Still, I think it stands alone and is almost as iconic as the early Dark Knight posters with their "Why So Serious?" campaign. There is certainly no doubt about what movie the poster is promoting. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to Nolan's semi-annual birthday present to me (via 8,412+ other sites and blogs).

And this was almost a "Gayest Thing" post, when I came across the latest video from semi-obscure gay indie band The Hidden Cameras and their latest single "Do I Belong?" (a question I've been asking myself my entire life). The Hidden Cameras have been around for 10 years, but not being a hipster (i.e. a-hole), this is the first I've heard and/or seen from them (via):



This was also almost an extremely political post, also thanks to Towleroad. A friend at work and I have come up with alternate names for Repugnican Presidential hopefuls we hate. There's She Who Must Not Be Named; He Who Is an Idiot; the unoriginal but completely appropriate Frothy Mix and most scary of all, She Who Is Insane. The latter two, of course, are the most frightening of all. Bachman and Santorum have both signed a completely repugnant document which (among other ridiculously repulsive things) claims that sexual orientation is a "choice." Romney at least has publicly disavowed the document, though Tina Fey (oops - Sarah Palin) has so far been silent about it. Thankfully, She Who Is Insane may well be brought down by the Medicare payments to her sexually questionable husband's "reparative therapy" psychology practice. Of course, it doesn't help that the woman in question claimed in 2004 that being gay was not only "of Satan," but a "sexual dysfunction."

The APA and the AMA both decry the practice of so-called "reparitive therapy," stating that is both ineffective and potentially harmful, often resulting in depression and suicidal thoughts. I can only hope that voters will come to realize what a danger this woman is to both progressive thinking and civil rights.

There are plenty of other things I'd like to talk about tonight, but I am limited by time and my own need for sleeep. Maybe someday I'll get to rant about everything I'd like to... Until then, I hope you'll at least think about what I have to say and act appropriately.

More, anon.
Prospero

1 comment:

Stephen said...

You are preaching to the choir, sister!

I wonder if the boys need a 4th for their band?