Thursday, June 7, 2012

The (Possibly) Gayest Boy Band You'll See This Week

One Direction

I don't get Boy Bands. Never did. Oh, I certainly get Marky Mark and (to a certain extant) Justin Timberlake (gotta love a cutie with a sense of humor). I guess I was already too old when 'NSYNC, Backstreet Boys and NKOTB came into popularity. Of course, I never got any of the teen idols of my own generation, either. David Cassidy? Really? Davy Jones? No, thanks. Though in full disclosure, I once had a very dirty dream about Donny Osmond. Of course, I had a very similar dream about '68 Comeback-Era Elvis (Damn, he looked fine in that black leather!)... But give me a big, furry bear over a skinny twink, any day. 

Still, the Boy Band phenomena still persists, especially with the latest British import, One Direction. Niall, Zayn, Liam, Harry and Louis were signed by Papa Bear Simon Cowell's Syco Records after placing third in the British version of "X-Factor." That's all I know (and really care to know) about them. They draw hordes of screaming tween and teen girls to their concerts and are apparently quite popular. I've never heard (nor do I care to) a single one of their songs. In fact, they were barely a minor blip on my pop-culture radar.

That is, of course, until the video below appeared today on Boy Culture. A collection of photo stills, the Vimeo clip begs the question: Are they gay or just European? I'll let you decide.


One Direction - Gay or European from Tiffany Vicente on Vimeo.


Honestly, I don't care. The songs they produce are simply more musical pablum for children who wouldn't know good music if it bit them on their bums.

Holy crap! Have I become my parents? (Shudder...)

More, anon.
Prospero

1 comment:

David said...

Forgot about the whole "European" thing. I mean they do have a more fluid notion about sexuality, only here in America does it seem to be black & white.

That being said, while I can careless that they "sing," they are deliberately playing up the whole "bromance" for the American tabloids. My gay spider sense does go off with at least 2 of the five, but that might be just wishful thinking that 2 of the boys might actually have a thing for each other.

We seem to be close in age, and while my sister had a crushes on Barry Manilow, Sean Cassidy, my first was Scott Baio. Then he became a douche. Now anything with a pulse gets me interested, but I do get bored very easily.