Friday, January 21, 2011

Top Ten Movies of 2010


Okay... the end of the month of the January is approaching, the Golden Globes have been awarded and the Oscars are about to be announced. Last month I posted my 5 Best and Worst movies of 2010, but I've seen several more movies from last year and I suppose it's time to finally list my Top Ten; a difficult task in a year of many, many bad films. Some of these films have been reviewed previously (a few even recently), while others were not reviewed because I had other things on my mind. If your personal favorites' on the list, yay! If not, get over it and go write about them on your own blog -- Sorry. I had a pretty crappy day at the day-job and it seems to be spilling over here. I'll try to keep that in check for the rest of this post, if you promise not to hold it against me. So, without further ado, here are Uncle P's picks for the Ten Best Movies of 2010:

#10: Kick-Ass

Director Matthew Vaughn (Stardust) takes on the indie-Superhero genre with his hilarious adaptation of Mark Millar's story about an average kid who dreams of being more than he is. With break-out performances from Aaron Johnson and Chloe Moretz, Kick-Ass was the most fun I had at the movies this year.



#9: The Kids Are Alright

Anette Bening and Julianne Moore star as the lesbian parents of kids who seek out their biological father in this touching and often amusing story about what 'family' truly means.  




#8: Despicable Me

"The Office" star Steve Carrel is the voice of wannabe super villain Gru in this hilariously delightful film from the guy who made Ice Age, that also redefines 'family.' "It's so FLUFFY!"



#7: Toy Story 3

Pixar once again proves they're the best in the business with this sequel that drove grown men (myself included) to tears. 



#6: Let Me In

A box-office disappointment, Let Me In is the Americanized version of the Swedish vampire film Let the Right One In. Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee are the vampire and her thrall-in-training in this dark tale that features Salon.com's "Best Scene of 2010."



#5: The King's Speech

Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush star in this true story of King George VI, his speech pathologist and their struggle to overcome George's stammer on the eve of the most important speech of his Regency. With similar themes to The Madness of King George, Tom Hooper's film reminds of that royalty are still very human beings.



#4: The Social Network

Director David Fincher is best known for his explorations of the darker side of the Human Condition (Se7en; Fight Club; Zodiac) and his take on the story of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, while far less grim than his usual fare, is yet another fascinating take on the same subject.



#3: True Grit

Westerns will never be at the top of my Favorite Genres list. Still, the Coen brothers' version of the Charles Portis novel is not only brilliantly acted and gorgeously filmed, but it bears the kind of emotional impact that only the best movies can, reminding us once again of the universality of the Human Condition.



#2: Black Swan

Darren Aronofsky's film about performance and obsession is dark, fanciful and plenty disturbing while featuring the year's most amazing performance from seasoned veteran and Golden Globe winner Natalie Portman as a dancer who'll go to almost any lengths to achieve the performance of a lifetime.



#1: Inception

I always think the Best Film of the Year should be the Most Entertaining and Thought-Provoking movie of the year, and for me, that film was Christopher Nolan's Inception. A Sci-Fi espionage thriller with amazing visuals, terrific performances and an amazing score from the always brilliant Hans Zimmer, Inception was the movie that intrigued, excited and provoked me the most this year. A great ride from beginning to end, Inception was simply 2010's Most Entertaining (and therefore Best) movie of 2010.




Agree? Disagree? Have other choices? Let me know. I always love to hear what you have to say.

More, anon.
Prospero

4 comments:

Stephen said...

I have not seen The Social Network yet... maybe today. I am noy big on animated films, although Toy Story 3 is supposed to first rate & rather heartbreaking; on your recommendation I might give it a try.
My List:
The Kids Are Alright
The Ghostwriter
Let Me In (American version)
Get Low
The Way Out
The Tempest(sorry!)
I Love You Phillip Morris
The Fighter
127 Hours
Somewhere

Stephen said...

Oh yeah... I loved The King's Speech. All 3 leads were at their very best.

Prospero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Prospero said...

Oh dear... Having been in three very different stage productions of "The Tempest," I just can't recommend Taymor's version at all. I think she completely missed the point...

I haven't seen "The Ghostwriter" (I gave up on Polanski after "The Ninth Gate"), "I Love You Phillip Morris or "127 Hours," though the last two are still on my list.

And give animated films a chance. as with any movie, it's story that matters and the two on my list provide two of the year's best.