Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2010 Oscar Snubs


So, the Oscar Nominations were announced yesterday. I, like many film fans out there, am stunned by some of the glaring omissions on the Academy's list this year.

First and foremost, Christopher Nolan (L) was not nominated for Best Director for Inception, despite the movie's nominations for Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. Really? Did this "Best Picture" nominee direct itself? It certainly didn't write itself. Inception was also snubbed for a Best Editing nod. I ask anyone who has seen the film: How did the amazing last 40 minutes of it come together so brilliantly? Was it luck? Or maybe magic. I think not.

Also ignored: Matt Damon in True Grit. This was really a slap in the face for an actor who has grown by leaps and bounds in every film he's in. His performance as Texas Ranger LeBeouf was one of his best ever. And since I'm already talking about True Grit, why was the amazing young Hailee Steinfeld nominated as Best Supporting Actress? As in the Charles Portis novel, the Coen Brothers' film was the story of Mattie and her journey, where Rooster and LeBeouf are the supporting characters. Surely Steinfeld deserves to be recognized for her amazing debut, but she was the leading actress in the movie, not a supporting player.

And let's not forget the always amazing Julianne Moore in The Kids Are Alright; Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine; Armie Hammer; Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake in The Social Network; Danny Boyle for 127 Hours and Tangled and Despicable Me. Really, did anyone actually see The Illusionist? And why is Toy Story 3 (a movie I loved) nominated as both Best Picture and Best Animated Feature?

My mother, bless her, has complained for many years that the Oscars are no longer really about 'The Best" but rather about the studios who spend the most money promoting their nominees. And sadly, I am inclined to agree with her. I mean, come on... Crash won over Brokeback Mountain? A serious reality check is needed among Academy voters. Hey AMPASS members - 'Gay' no longer equals 'Evil' and 'Excellent' still equals 'Excellent.'

At the risk of repeating myself, here are the trailers for 10 nominees for Best Picture:





















May the actual Best nominees win!

My predictions, anon (though as always, I advise against betting on my predictions....)

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: