Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yet Another Remake I Want to See


I loved Let the Right One In, the Swedish vampire movie that took the Indie Horror world by storm in 2008. Smart, scary and very original, Let the Right One In was the much-needed antithesis to those godawful Twilight movies. The story of a bullied young boy befriended by a child vampire was both horrifying and sweet, even though we knew (SPOILER ALERT) she was only using him in a ploy to replace her aging human thrall.

Of course, the inevitable American remake was announced almost immediately and horror fans were skeptical, at best. But, director Matt Reeves had already proven himself with the J.J. Abrams-produced Cloverfield and from everything I've seen so far (especially the trailer embedded below), I think he may actually be up to the task.

Starring Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass' foul-mouthed Hit-Girl) and Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Road), Reeves' take on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist looks like it might actually live up to the original. "Six Feet Under" alum and Oscar nominee Richard Jenkins, co-stars.

As a fan of both subtle and overt Horror movies, I can see myself having a grand time at the movies this fall. Saw 3D may a built-in fan base, but so does Let Me In. I imagine it will be no contest when it comes to horror fans' Halloween movie picks.



This Summer may have sucked when it came to movies, though it looks like Fall and Winter hold all sorts of promising surprises.

More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Stephen said...

The summer has sucked... & not in a good way. Let The Right One In is brilliant, & one film that that I am not apposed to an American re-make.

I think you & I need to do The Tempest next summer... on location!

Prospero said...

Julie Taymor beat us to it...