Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Other End


Have you ever had to call for tech support and been routed to a call center in India or Pakistan? It can be very frustrating. For the past week or so, I've been dealing with my PC manufacturer's tech support people. The first time I called, I was routed to Pakistan. The gentleman to whom I was finally connected was most helpful and I thought the issue was resolved. 

Silly Uncle P... 

Because I had called them late at night, when they found there was still a problem, they called me late at night, usually after I had gone to bed. It was very annoying and I am afraid I got a little upset with them. Finally, I agreed to call them. After a ridiculous amount of transfers, I was finally routed to a gentleman in India. Rohit was (I hope to God) finally able to resolve the remaining problem, and even helped me to get rid of some programs that were just taking up memory for no good reason. Both Rohit and the supervisor (at whom I spent more than a few minutes yelling) were patient and understanding. I ended up apologizing to both of them, knowing it was neither of their faults. Hopefully, I will never have to talk to them again.

A few months ago, I posted a long list of things to do and not to do in order to get help from a Customer Service agent. And tonight, I was guilty of at least one of those infractions I so vehemently warned against. To their credit, neither gentleman got upset and both were very pleasant, throughout. Having been on the other end of the line for once, has made me appreciate how difficult their (and my) job can be.

Be kind to the Service reps you encounter on such calls. They are there to help you, and if you let them, they will.

Of course, this experience has made me appreciate this so much more:



More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: