Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day?

Even Maniacs Have Mothers
Today was Mother's Day here in the U.S., a day when children honor their mothers with gifts; special meals and awkward photos on Facebook. Mother's Day was created in 1908 by Anna Jarvis but wasn't officially celebrated until 1914. By the 20's, Jarvis said that she had become disillusioned with the commercialization of the holiday, though it is now celebrated world-wide. Hallmark, American Greetings and the floral industry would beg to differ with Ms. Jarvis' complaints..

Uncle P's mom emphatically told me she wanted no gifts from me or my sister because we had bought her that lifting recliner earlier this year. Of course, we both ignored her and bought her gifts anyway. I got her books (she loves to read) and my sister sent K-cups for the Keurig I bought her for Christmas. I also made her a meal of lobster tail and Lima beans (two things I really hate, though she really loves). Regular readers know Mom's health isn't the best and I want to make sure every holiday is special for her.

Unfortunately, not everyone has a mother as loving and caring as mine. Some mothers are just downright awful. And here's some proof:



Okay, I know that's not fair. Not every mother is an insane religious zealot bent on perverting everything that is normal for teenaged girls. But imagine your mother as a traitor:



Or maybe just as an egomaniacal control freak:



Or a cold-hearted bitch who blames you for your brother's suicide:



Or an insane mass-murderer:



I hope your Mom is as wonderful, loving and caring as mine is. If your Mom is gone, I hope you have wonderful memories of her that you keep close to your heart. And if you are a Mom reading this, I hope your children remembered you on your special day. 

Love you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day!

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: