Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Most Irrelevant of Irrelevancies


Most of you know how I feel about Awards shows in general, so it should be no surprise that I really hate the Grammys. 

And please excuse me while I go into "Old Guy Ranting" mode here, but the majority of popular music today is just plain crap. Oh, don't get me wrong - there are exceptions. I adore Adele and I am thrilled that she won Album of the Year; Record of the Year; Song of the Year, etc., etc. I can also appreciate a good dance beat (LMFAO or Lady Gaga, anyone?) and no one loves a great ballad like I do. And Best Musical Theatre Album for The Book Of Mormon? Yes! 

Betty White added another award to her showcase for Best Spoken Word Album. Really, who doesn't love America's Grandmother? I know I do. But Best Score for Visual Media to The King's Speech? Did no one listen to Howard Shore's magical score for Hugo? And honestly, no one really cares about Best Country Album; Best Instrumental Arrangement for Accompanying Vocalist(s) or Best Regional Roots Music Album. Well, maybe those nominated care. Still...

Music has always played an important part in my life. Dad was a classical music fan, while Mom loves Elvis and old school Country. I grew listening to Wagner; Orbison; Mozart; Presley; Beethoven; Nelson; Sibelius; Cline; Verdi and Parton. In high school, I listened to Disco and Musical Theatre and discovered the true genius of the Beatles in college, while dancing to the B-52's; Sinead O'Connor; X; Siouxsie and the Banshees and any number of 80's bands. But my true love always has been (and always will be) Film Scores. I know I've mentioned that the majority of my music collection is made up of Film Scores. I suppose I love them because the composers are very deliberately trying to evoke an emotional response and when they succeed in doing so, it just makes me happy.

But back to the Grammys. The only Awards Show with more categories than the Oscars, the Grammys are also the most superfluous. Music is probably the most subjective art form around, and while I like to think my musical taste is eclectic, many would consider it 'weird.' Of course, many people consider me weird, so what do I know? I just think it is so silly to give awards for any art, end even more so for music. One man's noise is another's symphony.



More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for the skeleton dance! I love that, and haven't seen it in ages.
To me, the 'awards season' brightens up the dark days of winter with a little color. I watch most of them, mostly to see the celebs in unguarded, unscripted moments and to keep a finger on the pulse of popular culture. I grew up listenting to my mother's Vic Damone, Frank Sinatra, and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I listened to latter for hours. My classical music education was gleaned from cartoons and movie scores. I somehow have an appreciation for classical music and especially opera. I idolized Aretha Franklin, the Motown sound, the surfer era music like the Beach Boys, and later Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Rolling Stones , Eric Clapton, Santana, the Eagles and all the Woodstock era great music. I HATED Disco and bubblegummy pop, and actually stopped listening to music when that happened! I loved hearing Adele and surprisingly thought Taylor Swift rocked last night. I also was surprised that I didn't hate Chris Brown.
Now I enjoy all genres of good music except rap, but I like a dance beat also, so sometimes I like it. Also good country music and bluegrass can be wonderfull too. So much good music!!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I only watched some. The irony in giving a dedication to Whitney Houston and then having Chris Brown (a man who is a known woman beater) take up the stage was not lost on me.