Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Swing, Swing, Swing!


The whole 1940's vibe we've been getting in rehearsals for Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" has been rubbing off on me (No, not that way, you pervs). 

Back in the early 90's, I directed a production of Much Ado About Nothing that was set during the liberation of Sicily during WWII. During Leonato's masked ball, I staged a full on swing dance set to Glen Miller's "In the Mood." It was an audience pleaser and much fun for the cast.

I love Swing music and Swing dance. And long-time readers also know how much I love a good flashmob. So imagine my delight when I came across the video below (via) of a Swing-dancing flashmob which took place at Denver's International Airport on November 22nd. It features one of my all-time favorite Swing numbers, Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" and some terrific Swing dancing by the member's of cmDance. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:



There are two rehearsals left before Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" opens on Friday and tickets, while going fast, are still available. We'd love to see you there. I know, I know - more shameless self-promotion. But hey, if I don't, who will? As Patricia Kalember says in Signs, "Swing away!" Okay - maybe that wasn't the best or most relevant reference, but I'm tired...

Of course, this is the perfect opportunity to re-embed my favorite flashmob of all time:



I'm still dying to do one of these. Maybe I can figure out how to do one to promote Hairspray in the spring.

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: