Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stop Prop 8

I live on the other side of the country, but I am watching California's Proposition 8 debacle closely. As many of you know, the California Supreme Court recently ruled that banning same-sex marriage was unconstitutional in that state. Since then, a proposition has been introduced that would amend the California State Constitution and make same-sex marriage illegal. I'm not a political activist, by any means (though I was involved in the local "Stop Dr. Laura" movement, way back when). But I vote and speak my mind. This travesty cannot be allowed.
Proposition 8 is an insidious measure, pushed by the so-called "Christian" right, which would actually deny rights to members of the LGBT community. This is more than a travesty; it's a crime against human rights. If you live in California, I urge to vote against Proposition 8. If you don't live in California, but want to help, please donate whatever amount you can to the fight against this truly hate-filled bill at: https://secure.ga4.org/01/equalityforall?qp_source=towle (via Towleroad). It is said "As California goes, so goes the nation." Don't let California (and the nation) take a giant step backwards in human rights. Please help stop Prop 8.
Okay - enough politics. More movies, soon. I promise.

Prospero

No comments: