Thursday, January 21, 2010

Naked Came the Homophobe


As much as I love my Dear D, his taste in movies isn't always the best. His favorite film is Rocky and his favorite actors include Stallone, Seagal and the subject of tonight's post, the "Muscles from Brussels," Jean-Claude Van Damme. And while I often chide D about what he thinks are "good" movies, I must admit his choices are often entertaining, if nothing else.

And, as much as I'd like to, I cannot deny JCVD's physical attributes. He is a rather magnificent specimen of male perfection: a stunningly muscled body combined with gorgeous facial features and unparalleled Martial Arts prowess, Van Damme is the epitome of macho male hotness, as evidenced by the picture I've posted here. And while he may not have (for me, at least) the hotness factor of my personal obsession, I wouldn't kick the man out of bed for eating crackers, if you know what I mean.

Still, I have issues with the Belgian heartthrob. He has been quoted as saying he doesn't like that he has gay fans, and hates that they look at his ass. Really? Then why show it off, so often?

Whether it's displaying his wall-crawling splits in any number of movies, or his totally naked backside, Monsieur Van Damme seems to have no problem with showing off the body with which God and Nautilus have gifted him. So why should he worry about who is looking at? If it were yours truly, I would have no problem with being worshiped by anyone, male or female.

As an actor who prides himself on his body, why should he care who lusts after it.? He must know that 99% of the people who who may long for a tumble in the hay with him have 0% chance of actually doing so. And if those people are willing to plunk down their hard-earned money to see his movies might fantasize about having sex with him, so what? It's hardly likely that they will ever do so, so what should it matter to him? And if it bothers him so much that gay men are lusting after him, why then would he continue to appear in as little clothing as possible, often oiled up to show off the kind of body most of us can only imagine having? Methinks the lady doth protest too much, to quote a certain genius.

Van Damme's latest film, scheduled for release in the Spring of 2010, is the sequel to Universal Soldier, the first film in which we got a glimpse of those powerful glutes. In Universal Soldier: Regeneration, JCVD reprises his role as a robotic soldier, this time fighting against UFC star Andrei Arlovski (Damn!) and former 80's hunk, Dolph Lundgren:



If it weren't for Van Damme's open disdain for the gay fans who made him a star to begin with, I might actually consider renting Universal Solder: Regeneration when it comes out on DVD. As for now, I'll simply list him among the homophobes whose coffers I refuse to add to.

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: