Wednesday, May 5, 2010

LOST in Translation


If you have not seen last night's episode of "Lost" yet, then do NOT read any further. Here there be SPOILERS.

With only a few episodes left, including the recently announced two-and-a-half-hour finale on May 23rd, ABC's enigmatic, frustrating, time-traveling, alt-universe, multi-story, Sci-Fi epic series "Lost" still has loads of questions left to answer. I am quite hopeful that most (though not all) of those questions will be answered in the coming weeks. While an avid fan from the beginning, "Lost" isn't something I've talked a whole lot about here, but after last night's heart-breaking episode, I had a bit of an epiphany of sorts. Of course, I may be totally off, but somehow I don't think so.

When I say "heart-breaking," I am, of course, speaking of the Jin/Sun story arc, in which the couple spent two seasons hoping to reunite. In the episode two weeks ago, after Sun lost her ability to speak (but not understand) English, the two were finally reunited only to find themselves in this week's episode the victims of "un-Locke" and his (as espoused by Jack) plan to kill all the candidates for Jacob's replacement. I'll readily admit that I watched with tears streaming down my face as the two drowned, holding hands as Widmore's submarine filled with water and sank to the bottom of the ocean. Of course, all this after Sayid was blown to pieces by the C4 which "un-Locke" planted in Jack's backpack.



Of course, we know that Sun and Jin have more to do in the Sideways world - and I suspect Juliet may be the doctor who saves Sun's baby in that universe - because we saw Jin in the hospital with flowers as Jack tried to convince Locke to have the surgery that could allow him to walk again. But I am very unhappy that two of my three favorite characters are dead (we still don't know Desmond's fate - though he was not among the original castaways and may yet survive). But I digress.

So here it is - my big theory: The remaining original castaways are Jack, Kate, Hurley, Claire and Sawyer. We know that Kate's name has already been crossed off on the cave wall, and Claire's name was never there to begin with (but she's gone over the 'the dark side,' anyway). So that leaves us with Jack, Hurley and Sawyer. I suspect that in the end, Jack and Sawyer will be left alone on the island, replacing both Jacob and The Man in Black to work out a never-ending battle between Good and Evil. We'll probably never know which is which. And that, I think, is as it should be. But where all this leaves Ben; Desmond; Lapidus; Richard; Walt; Rose; Bernard and Miles, is anyone's guess.



So there you have it. Of course, I may be very wrong. And If I am, I'll gladly eat the crow set before me.

What are your (if any) theories about how the show will end? I always love your comments. And if you don't watch "Lost," then you are completely confused by this post and you should run out and rent the DVD's so you know what the hell I'm talking about.

More, anon.
Prospero

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lapidus is dead and Sayid made it clear that he did not kill Desmond, giving Jack directions to where to find him.